Staff turnover happens within the first 45 days
Global employees complain of a poor onboarding process
Millennials want better onboarding
Employees with a favourable onboarding experience stay for 3+ years
First year employees are retained by companies with a good onboarding process
We've listed down the essentials as well as the best practices to help you prepare the perfect joining kit for new employees.
• Welcome Note from the CEO / Top Management
• Company's Vision & Mission Statement
• Values / Culture Document
• HR Policies (Must include official HR email for correspondence
• List of Holidays
• Links to the website / intranet using which the employee can gather more information
• Employee Information Form (or a link to the online version) containing essential information such as name, address, photo, contact number, blood group, emergency contact, PAN number. This can also have details based on specific requirements such as passport, driving license, marital status, family details, blood group.
• Joining Confirmation Form with Designation to be signed
• Checklist of documents to be submitted by the joinee such as address, age and education proof(s), relieving/experience certificate from previous assignment(s), photograph, etc.
• Forms for PF Declaration, PF Nomination, ESI Form 1 (Declaration and Nomination), Gratuity Nomination, Form 12 B, Investment Declaration, Bank Account Opening
• Confidentiality Agreement / IPR Agreement.
• Self Declaration Form acknowledging their understanding of company policies, confidentiality clauses, etc.
• WiFi password (if any)
• Document on reporting Sexual Harassment + Employee Sensitization Training Module
• Get them to pledge support for causes you support
• Guide to office - Cafeteria, Printers, etc
• Assign a 'Joining Buddy' to guide them
• Introduce all major stakeholders or share video messages by them
• List of things to do in the city
• Quick restaurant guide with team recommendations
• Help them find an accommodation (if needed)
• Give new hires a grand welcome. Think drum-rolls, literally, or a brass band. Yeah - feels pretty awesome.
• Hand out a 'Goodie Kit'
• Ask them to share a group selfie with their joining kits and put it on their social media pages. If your joining kits are awesome, the employees will do this readily.
Cactus | Ogilvy & Mather | Percolate
Denver-based creative agency Cactus puts together a great welcome kit to "help navigate the path to awesomeness." The kit includes goodies such as a pencil, ruler, USB, custom t-shirts, cap – as well as a gorgeous book that outlines the company's history, processes, culture, and values. The kit also has a personalised welcome letter made from a custom copper letterpress which doubles as an industrial chic desk nameplate.
Advertising and PR brand Ogilvy & Mather’s "Induction Box," by its Cape Town team, is inspired by founder David Ogilvy's short book The Eternal Pursuit of Unhappiness and his famous eight habits of highly creative communities. It's a red box, but in many ways it's more like a red carpet. It comprises of a pencil, USB, a slinky, a floorplan of the office, and a copy of Ogilvy's book.
Marketing technology company Percolate's onboarding program and welcome kit are both equally impressive. Before joining, hires receive a package with a t-shirt, mug, granola, tote bag, a Kindle, and a handwritten welcome letter. On their first day at work, the swag is more geared towards their workstation and quick productivity: stickers, notebooks, a mousepad, and more - all branded with Percolate's signature colour.
Greet your fresh recruits memorably, and you’ve begun the relationship on the right note. This is where our joining kits do a great job. Allow us to quickly introduce you to them.